These terms and conditions (Terms) are between you and The University of Melbourne (ABN 84 002 705 224) (we, our or us) and govern your use of Democracy Renewal (Website). By accessing and using the Website you agree to be bound by and abide by these Terms and our Community Guidelines (link TBC) (Community Guidelines).
1. About the Website
1.1 Democracy Renewal is an online forum and resource funded by the Melbourne School of Government at the University of Melbourne. Democracy Renewal aims to foster dialogue and discussion on the state of contemporary liberal democracy by bringing together diverse opinions, analysis and statistics from academics, leaders, journalists and citizens from around the world.
1.2 Information on the Website has been compiled from a number of sources, which may include:
- articles, opinions and other contributions submitted by University of Melbourne experts;
- contributions submitted by third parties (Contributions);
- posts and comments from users of the Website, (together, Content); and
- links to websites operated by third parties (Links).
1.3 Unless otherwise indicated, copyright in the Website is owned by us (or our licensors).
2. Use of the Website
2.1 You must comply with all laws applicable to your use of the Website and must not use the Website or Content for any purpose which is unlawful or does not comply with these Terms. If you access the Website from a jurisdiction other than Australia you must comply with all laws in that country applicable to your access and use of the Website.
2.2 You may only access and use the Website for non-commercial purposes. In addition, you must not:
- use automated means to retrieve information from the Website without our permission, for example, ‘scraping’;
- post or otherwise submit any software, code or routine that is harmful or interferes with the operation or activities of the Website;
- decompile, disassemble, or reverse-engineer the software or services relating to the Website;
- use the Website or Content for the purposes or generating ‘spam’, or submit ‘spam’ through the Website; or
- do anything which would impose an unreasonably large or disproportionate load on our networks or interfere with our network security.
3. Submitting, using and republishing Content
3.1 Before submitting Content to the Website (including posting comments), you must ensure that:
- the Content complies with our Community Guidelines;
- you have all the necessary rights to post or submit the Content and to grant the licence in paragraph 3.2; and
- our use of the Content (as contemplated by these Terms) will not infringe a third party’s rights (including intellectual property rights).
3.2 By submitting Content to the Website (including posting comments), you grant us a perpetual, royalty-free, worldwide, non-exclusive licence:
- to use, reproduce and communicate the Content on the Website under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No-Derivatives 4.0 International License (subject to paragraph 4.2); and
- to make the Content available to others under the same licence.
3.3 Except for any University of Melbourne logo, you may copy and redistribute the Content in any medium or format in accordance with the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No-Derivatives 4.0 International Licence. This means that:
- you must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the licence, and indicate if changes were made to the Content, in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the we or the author endorse you or your use;
- you may not use the material for commercial purposes;
- if you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material; and
- you may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the licence permits.
Further information about the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No-Derivatives 4.0 International License can be found at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/.
3.4 In addition to the above, when republishing any Content, you must comply with any directions given by us in relation to republishing that Content.
3.5 Unless we give you our prior written consent, you must not reproduce any University of Melbourne logo.
4.1 If you submit a Contribution for publication:
- in addition to the requirements in paragraph 3.1, your Contribution must comply with any directions for the submission of that piece of work (including making changes under clause 4.2); and
- you grant us a licence to use your Contribution in accordance with paragraph 3.2.
4.2 Where we consider that changes are required to a Contribution before publication, which:
- significantly affect the form or content of the Contribution, we will only make those changes with your prior written consent (or will request that you make the changes); or
- do not significantly affect the form or content of the Contribution, we may make those changes without your consent.
4.3 Despite the above, we will decide, at our discretion, whether or not to publish the Contribution on the Website.
5. Links to other websites
5.1 Although we may include Links on the Website, this does not mean that we endorse, recommend or support the linked website or any information, opinions, or goods and services made available on it.
5.2 Where a Link has been included on the Website:
- these Terms will not apply to the linked website and you should review the terms applicable to the linked website before using it;
- we have no control over the information, content or activities of the linked website and your access to and use of the linked website is at your own risk; and
- we make no representations or warranties as to, and we are not responsible for, the accuracy or any other aspect of the information on any linked website.
6. Responsibility for Content, liability
6.1 It is the intention of the Website to facilitate and promote open discussion and debate around democracy. We respect diversity of opinions. However:
- we make no warranty about the accuracy, completeness or reliability of the Content or other information on the Website; and
- we are not responsible for the actions of third parties (including users of the Website).
6.2 Where any Content does not comply with these Terms or our Community Guidelines (for example, because the Content is defamatory, abusive or obscene) we reserve the right to immediately remove the Content from the Website and block access to the Website without notice.
6.3 To the extent permitted by law, we have no liability to you or anyone else (including in negligence) in connection with:
- the accuracy, completeness or reliability of the Content or other information on the Website;
- the activities of third parties;
- any decision to not publish Content or to remove Content; or
- any Link.
6.4 You may report non-compliant Content by emailing: email@example.com.
7. Governing law
The Terms and your use of the Website are governed by the laws of the State of Victoria, Australia and you irrevocably and unconditionally submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of that State.
8. Changes to Terms
We may change the Terms at any time without notice to you. You agree to be bound by the changed Terms if you use the Website after they have been changed.