Is the US Devolving into a Plutocracy?
The author argues that there are emerging signs of a new political and governing system that has not yet been named:
- Political campaigns and elections that are increasingly being funded by a very small group of the richest Americans
- Increasing privatisation of the state, particularly in areas of defence and security
- Continuing gridlock and Congressional inaction across a broad range of policy areas
- The rise of a national security state as a new, unchecked and secretive fourth branch of government
- The acquiescence of much of the American public
Taken together, the author believes that these elements add to more than a passing crisis in the US political system.
Thumbnail image: Fibonacci Blue/Flickr.